Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Rationalize the irrational.

Oh the joys of the holidays - a time of the year when everyone gets to be uncomfortably close with family and endure awkward, unwanted conversations daily.

It's a time when even the most disciplined realist falls victim to irrational behavior.

Exhibit A: Listening to a grandpa preach his religious beliefs on you, becoming increasingly frustrated when he refuses to listen to your side and yet still walk away giggling at his stubbornness - because he's your grandpa and unlike everyone else in the world, his old-time beliefs don't bother you too much.

Exhibit B: Agreeing to write a list of ten things you are thankful for - even though you strongly believe that actions speak louder than words and emotions should never be verbalized.

Here it goes.

1) Reliable, mature relationships - After 21 years of dropping dead weight, I finally feel like I have a solid group of close, meaningful friends and family. Some are old and some are new. The old relationships have shaped me into the persona I portray today, which is inevitably flawed, and the new relationships have constantly made me question the persona I portray today, which in turn fosters daily personal growth.

2) Parents - When I think about having children I realize how selfless a GOOD parent must be. The amount of opportunities my parents supplied me are endless. From financing to logic, my parents have fully-equipped me to successfully handle myself in the real world. I can not imagine being placed with some of the parents my best friend's had growing up - I was just happy that at the end my juvenile sleepovers I would get to go home to my parents, where I was the first priority and not an obligation.

3) Variety - I appreciate the evangelical bible-thumpers telling me I'm a whore on campus. I appreciate the car who almost hit me while I was walking to class. I appreciate the customer at my job who asked for ketchup with their lobster tail. Each one of us are unique in some way or another, with different motivations and different insights. Not only does this variety keep my life interesting but it enables me to learn something new about human nature regularly.

4) Curiosity - Every time I hear about an individual researching or discovering a new process or tidbit of information I am enthralled. It inspires me that people in the world are genuinely interested in their surroundings and not just walking through life with a certain air of indifference. If I've learned anything this year it's that indifference solves nothing.

5) Living situation - I live in a beautiful location on 40th Street downtown with my sister, 25. Let's just say a Taqueria and few bars are close by. Convenience paired with a reliable, tolerable roommate equates to a happy home.

6) The State Hornet - Although it is practically the death of me in regards to lack of sleep and insanity, without my job at the Hornet I would be missing the rapid development as a journalist I am now receiving. Not to mention the sense of belongingness working close to like-minded individuals builds.

7) Spontaneity - This is a value that was instilled in me at a young age and without it I would get lost in the "daily grind," especially considering my tendency to overload.

8) Knowledge - We live in a world where knowledge is easily accessible. I am glad that I will soon be able to supply valuable information to the public that will ultimately educate the masses. I look forward to continuing to learn something new everyday and becoming an expert on new subject matter daily.

9) Travel, other cultures - self explanatory.

10) Differing opinions - Controversy is healthy and develops discussion and contemplation that is necessary. More specifically, I only appreciate individuals who are able to intelligently express their opinion with a valid backing. Differing opinions like being too stubborn to actually list things I'm thankful for.

In the grand scheme of things, I guess irrationality every once in a while isn't so bad - especially when it creates a type of self-exploration like creating this list did for me.

1 comment:

  1. Despite the initial paragraphs about reluctance to even write this, the columnist did a nice job and produced a very cleanly written piece.

    It seems very, well, calm... not frenetic at all...

    Nicely done, and a column for which I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete