Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Maslow is a wise man.

When it comes to finances I listen to Mr. Maslow. As in, Abraham Maslow - the father of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. 

For those of you who haven't been taught this concept seven times throughout your educational career, I'll brief you in. 

Maslow's hierarchy of needs is meant to do exactly what it sounds like; it is Maslow's interpretation of which human needs have priority over other needs. First on his list, ranking at "most important," are physiological needs.

So, thanks to Maslow, when budgeting for the month I think about my physiological needs first. Will I be able to eat at least two meals a day? Check. Will I be able to pay rent and keep my electricity on? Check. 

After placing my priorities in order and putting survival first, I move on down the ladder. 

Second on Maslow's hierarchy are safety needs. So, I make sure I have enough in the ole' bank account to keep a full tank of gas throughout the month. 

Nothing like not running out of gas at 2 a.m. to keep you safe.

And so Maslow's list goes on with my logic in spending basically mirroring his logic in needs:

3) belongingness needs - going out with friends.
4) self-esteem needs - setting aside enough non-work hours to succeed in school.
5) self-actualization - buying a new book and educating myself.

All the way down to the sixth most important item, aesthetic needs. By this point my funds are usually running pretty low, but it really doesn't stop me.

Sure, I'm a college student who works three jobs and still manages lives below the poverty line, but I think it's important to spend the money I earn on things I want. Isn't that what we all work for? To buy things we want?

I don't get fulfillment just out of looking at my money, so instead I like to see my money transform into things (as materialistic as that may sound).

I think it is important to splurge, but to splurge with moderation. Normally, I spend about $100 per month on aesthetic things like new clothes. 

Another chunk of that $100 is normally spent on alcohol consumption and letting loose - which I sometimes consider medicinal, but for all-mature purposes I'll place it under aesthetics where it actually belongs.

The way I view finance is this: human beings are at the top of the food chain for a reason, because we have developed logical minds.

Being logical is the leading factor behind Maslow's hierarchy of needs and in turn behind my own personal finance philosophy.

For example, I maxed out my credit card on flights and train tickets for my trip through Europe this summer, but I did this knowing that I had a job lined up as print managing editor at The State Hornet for the following year. Already, only two months into the semester I have paid off half of my debt.

Although not all members of society speak fluent logic, having a logical mind puts us in a place of power. A place where personal finance should not be daunting.

Instead of stressing over finance, let's just all collectively use our brains and make the right decisions.

For example, don't want to fall victim to credit card debt? Don't spend money you don't have or know you won't be able to have sometime in the near future.

Listen to Maslow and choose dinner over the newest coach purse.

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand the last 2 paragraphs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. And to use Maslow as the rubric for explaining lifestyle and personal finance was brilliant.

    (Where would such brilliance fall on his scale? Hmmm.)

    The writer shifts to using her personal experience (maxing out the credit cards) to reinforce her points, making the matter more compelling and less theoretical.

    And the last line ties in nicely with the first, though given what most coach purses sell for, the trade off would seem to be several dinners, not just one.

    Unless the dinner was at Biba's, of course

    ReplyDelete